Monday, October 29, 2007

R.I.P. 2007 Raiders

Ok I know that's a bit of an exaggeration but let's face it the turn around that could have been is pretty much done. I was wishing for a historic turnaround but it's pretty obvious that's not going to happen. Yesterday was just weird. They looked ok in the first half but it's all mental mistakes that keep us from winning and now it seems as though the giddiness of Kifin Vs. Shell is wearing off. 

"You know what? It's kind of like last year, to be honest-close games that we can't win,"-Nnamdi Asomugha said yesterday.

It's not like last year though. The only difference now is that the few vets that are hold overs are going to start comparing it to last year. This team actually has some direction to it now. The offensive line just has to get back to playing how it did the first four games. They have to give a little bit better protection and stop with the penalties already.

Our defense held vince young to 42 yards passing and the offense to just 218 yards. You should win these games. But guess what we only gained 238 yards which is not much better. You can't just be mad at Mike Williams for dropping a 4th and 14 pass that would have made a 1st down. It's the whole offense that's ailing and not just one guy. Even though I just said that what they made need to fix what's ailing them is a shot in the arm of Jamarcus Russell. 

He suited up yesterday for the first time.  Although he may not take us to the playoffs this year, by putting him in their this year and letting him get some experience we may get their next year or the year after. If he gets in and is declared the #1 guy an no more "I don't know who is the starter on Sunday crap" he may rally the offense and get some wins this year. It's clear that Culpepper or McCown is not the answer-Culpeepper doesn't have the mobility that once made him a great QB and McCown has the mobility but not the leadership and poise to carry a franchise on his back. BUT I believe they have someone riding the pine that does poses those two attributes and he has a fat wallet which is going to dislocate his hip from leaning to one side if he doesn't get in soon!! 



3 comments:

Unknown said...

On Sunday, former Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon, now an analyst for CBS, said during the broadcast of the Titans game that Culpepper isn't as mobile as he once was and takes too long dropping back after taking a snap.

"I don't feel that way," Culpepper said. "I've been working very had to get back from under the center. My coaches have let me know that I'm getting back to perfect timing."

"For him to say I'm not the same player, that's false," Culpepper said. "I'm a lot better now. I've had time to mature and see the game from a different aspect. I feel like I'm getting better every day. At the end of the day, I'm going to show them that they're wrong if they feel that way."

He needs to face it, he is slower now.

Zay said...

Word. There was a play in the firs half when the pocket collapsed (wasn't that every play?) and one of the defenders came up and he got out of the way and rolled to his right. He ran to the sideline to run up field and couldn't get away from the guy even the this 300+# defensive lineman was half jogging toward him. Everything said I would rather have Culppeper in than McCown!! Hopefully we pick up at least 3 or 4 more wins this season hopefully winning a couple at the end w/Russell under center so we can have something to build on!!

insomniakz said...

He also needs to learn how to hold on to the ball!